Thursday, August 20, 2009

death-dealing life lovers

One of the problems I have with "modern" medicine (is it post-modern now? I can't keep up with our designations of our era. How about "rapid transitional" medicine?) and the societal attitudes it represents is the seeing of death as an enemy. For heaven's and mercy's and pity's sakes! We come from death and to death we return -- the eternal cycling and recycling. What's that saying? "Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die."

And never mind that we as a nation, as a people are death-dealers, whacking folk down every day, plus eradicating entire species, poisoning the earth. If death is such an enemy, why are we so snuggly with it? We don't mind causing the death of others ("collateral damage"), it is our precious selves we wish to preserve.

There can be no death without life, so I say get rid of life and there will be no death. What? You find fault with my logic? The greatest curse I could put upon you would be that you live forever (as the particle you are).

Rather than life and death, I see ongoing transformation. We are continuously dying and being reborn. Keeping people alive is primarily a selfish motive. When they die, we take it as a personal affront. All you stalwart defenders of life out there, relax and smell the compost!

2 comments:

  1. Walt Whitman wrote:
    And as to you death, you bitter hug of mortality, it is idle to try to alarm me/
    And as to you, Corpse, I think you are good manure, but that does not offend me/
    And as to you Life I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths/
    (no doubt that I have died myself ten thousand times before)/
    Do you see O my brothers and sisters?/
    It is not chaos or death--it is form, union, plan--it is eternal life--it is happiness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! He couldn't have said it better himself!
    :>)
    Thank you, Brad!

    ReplyDelete