Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ronin

I wrote the following in a format inspired by
the writing of a 14th century unknown Samurai.

I have no home. The universe is my home.
I have no clothes. I stand naked in the universe.
I have no sword. Spirit is my sword.
I have no horse. This breath is my horse.
I have no dog. My mind is my dog.
I have no map. Infinity is my map.
I have no heart. Life's rhythm is my heart.
I have no mind. Vast openness is my mind.
I have no security. The unknown is my security.
I have no intelligence. Awareness is my intelligence.
I have no enemies. Attachment is my enemy.
I have no ruler. The ruler of rulers is my ruler.
I have no place to go. Here now is my place to go.
I have no family. All sentient beings are my family.
I have no apology. Unswerving intent is my apology.
I have no sorrow. Laughter is my sorrow.
I have no gratitude. Joy is my gratitude.

Here is a translation of the 14th century document.
I have no parents; I make the heavens and the earth my parents.
I have no divine power; I make honesty my divine power.
I have no means; I make submission my means.
I have no magic power; I make inward strength my magic.
I have neither life nor death; I make the Eternal my life and death.
I have no body; I make fortitude my body.
I have no eyes; I make the flash of lightning my eyes.
I have no ears; I make sensibility my ears.
I have no limbs; I make promptitude my limbs.
I have no design; I make opportunity my design.
I have no miracles; I make the Dharma my miracle.
I have no principles; I make adaptability my principle.
I have no friends; I make my mind my friend.
I have no enemy; I make incautiousness my enemy.
I have no armour; I make goodwill and righteousness my armour.
I have no castle; I make immovable mind my castle.
I have no sword; I make no-mind my sword.

1 comment: