Tuesday, October 6, 2009

4. Arjuna States His Case

Arjuna and Krishna continue their conversation. Krishna has invited Arjuna to "arise like a fire that burns all before it." But Arjuna is still impaled on the horns of his dilemma.

So are we all. We are thrown into this world like gladiators in an arena. What shall we do? The Gita, as it unfolds, gives answers to this question. We shall see if those answers have relevance to us a-theological spiritual anarchists of today's post-post-modern world, we who live on the Edge with ungritted teeth.

Arjuna says:
I owe veneration to Bhishma and Drona. Shall I kill with my arrows my grandfather's brother, great Bhishma? Shall my arrows in battle slay Drona, my teacher?
Shall I kill my own masters who, though greedy of my kingdom, are yet my sacred teachers? I would rather eat in this life the food of a beggar than eat royal food tasting of their blood. --Chapter 2, verses 4-5, The Bhagavad Gita (Tr. Juan Mascaro)

In his commentary, Gandhi points out that if we are ready to cast aspersion on someone in an opposing camp, we should also be ready to point the finger at close comrades (including ourselves) guilty of the same offense. If we are going to take the head of our distant kin (and all are our kin), we should be willing to take the head of our close kin. "The Gita permits no distinction between one's relations and others."

If I am going to kill fathers, mothers, grandfathers, grandmothers, children, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces in Afghanistan or anywhere "over there," then I must be willing to kill the same relations here in my home town, my home state. This is high and tough spiritual ground.

At the same time. Gandhi says, "I might be ready to embrace a snake, but, if one comes to bite you, I should kill it and protect you."

You see the moral dilemma here. This ancient dilemma which the Gita addresses is still here, fresh and new.

Arjuna continues:
In the dark night of my soul I feel desolation. In my self-pity I see not the way of righteousness. I am thy disciple, come to thee in supplication: be a light unto me on the path of my duty.
For neither the kingdom of the earth, nor the kingdom of the gods in heaven, could give me peace from the fire of sorrow which thus burns my life." --Chapter 2, verses 7-8

Rather than putting on an arrogant front, Arjuna admits that he is caught in the desolate wasteland of self-pity. While burning in the fires of sorrow, he cannot open to the arising fire that Krishna invites him to become.

Arjuna is stating his case, but he hasn't given up. He is asking Krishna for help. Arjuna is like Job sitting in the ashes of the fire of sorrow. But as we shall see, Krishna is not like Yahweh. He does not come thundering in with might and power asserting his superiority and asking Arjuna who the hell he thinks he is.

When Arjuna the great warrior had thus unburdened his heart, "I will not fight, Krishna," he said, and then fell silent. --Chapter 2, verse 9

He had come to a decision and had nothing more to say. But Krishna does. Krishna has plenty to say.

7 comments:

  1. Ah, George, I like how you tell this story, stopping in just the right moment! Krishna has made himself small; his only choice at the moment. Like Job, Odysseus, and others, he has to make himself small to hear the voice and direction of god (Krishna)and to prepare himself for his rebirth--in this instance, as a warrior. Most of us are so silly that we think re-birth happens once or twice, but really, it happens in each moment we truly and deeply reflect on ourselves. Krishna is demanding, I think, that Arjuna be stripped clean of everything that makes him Arjuna. Thus Arjuna's anguished question: "Shall I kill with my arrows my grandfather's brother[....]Shall my arrows in battle slay my teacher?
    Shall I kill my own masters who[....]are yet my sacred teachers? I would rather eat in this life the food of a beggar than eat royal food tasting of their blood." Teachers, ancestors, spiritual masters; all those who make us who we are. Hinduism teaches that with knowledge (especially self knowledge) comes pain; Arjuna is about to experience the necessity of making oneself small to both limit the collateral damage to the Self and to make the destruction of ego more easily facilitated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George,

    This story is so very beautiful! It touches me deeply. Brings to mind the "wars" in which I am caught in the middle.

    Blessings on you, dear friend!

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. When do we get the next installment please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does he say?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa (and all others),

    Well, let's take this intermission, this uncalled for and unheralded interlude, as an exercise.

    What do YOU THINK he says?

    I await your comments.

    George

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you would ask that:) I will think..:)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete